A quality tool is a joy to use.
Diamond Files for leveling and dressing tone holes. Swiss made Straight Files for general material shaping and Broaches for adjustment of small holes and slots. High precision craftwork demands high precision files. Work faster and cleaner with Diamond tone hole files from Jim Schmidt.
- Small Wooden File Handle$6.25
For some, there is no substitute for a good wooden file handle. The smooth and rounded edges of this file fit the hand very well. 1/8 inch brass collet end for comfortably holding the small Swiss files. Move the file handle from file to file without tools.
Length: 4.25 inches or 11.0cm.Learn More
- Hand Files
Starting at $28.65An excellent quality file is a very useful tool in a woodwind or brass repair shop. Both flat and curved files are available in coarse and fine grits. The curved file features a flat side and curved side for reaching areas the flat file cannot. Use these files for making or altering any woodwind key or brass surface. If you find that you need a file for brass and steel, you may want to order two sets rather than using one file for both metals. No shop can be without a set of these excellent Swiss made files.
6.0 inch (150mm) File Surface Learn More
- Jim Schmidt Diamond Abrasive Tone Hole Files for Flute
Starting at $12.00
- Jim Schmidt Diamond Abrasive Tone Hole Files for Sax
Starting at $38.50
These are the smoothest, fastest cutting files you can buy. Nothing compares to diamonds.
The rotary tone hole file set comes with 6 machined discs ranging from 18mm to 50mm in diameter (suitable for Altos & Tenors). The discs can be used to check the flatness of a tone hole by placing a disc (bare metal side down) over a tonehole and using a leak light. To file down high spots of a tone hole, the file is placed on the tonehole and turned with a wrench while applying pressure.
Smaller files can be stacked under larger files to act as a pilot for centering the file on the tonehole.Learn More
- Wooden File Handle$2.75For some, there is no substitute for a good wooden file handle. The smooth and rounded edges of this file fit the hand very well. Press the end of your file in to the hole in the handle of this tool and tap it in place with a mallet. Remove the file and reuse the handle when the file becomes dull.
Length: 4.25 inches or 11.0cm. Learn More
- Plastic File Handle$4.50This heavy duty file handle will last through the life of many files. Insert the file into the threaded end of the handle and screw into place. The file self centers and will not move once in place. To remove the file from the handle unscrew the file from the handle and insert a new file.
Length: 4 inches or 101mm. Learn More
- Broaches$40.25This assortment of 12 tapered broaches contains all the necessary sizes for use on woodwinds. These tools are excellent whenever a non-threaded hole needs to be enlarged or rounded. We use these for enlarging flat spring holes, spring holes in posts and other general purpose work. These broaches are not recommended for use on hinge tubes as they are designed to cut a tapered hole. Assortment covers drill sizes 30-70.
Can be used with any of our pin vises. We highly recommend using these broaches with our Swivel Head Pin Vise because it can hold any of the sizes in this assortment. Learn More
- Teborg Swiss Needle File Set$72.99This premium quality needle file set is excellent for doing fine precision work. Cut #2: half moon, flat, flat tapered, 4-sided, 3-sided, and round with a carrying case. We use these files nearly every day for key modification work; a must-have for any shop that is tired of their regular needle files breaking and dulling quickly. Not for use on steel.
Twelve 5.5 inch (14cm) files in a Trifold case(15.2cm) case Learn More
- Complete Tone Hole File Set$405.00
The Complete Tone Hole Set now includes:
- Complete set of 6 medium grit files for altos and tenors.
- The large 2 1/2" medium grit baritone sax file.
- 28 pilot set. 21 plus 7 additional Jim Schmidt Pilots
- UltiMax Lubricant, for oiling the files while cutting.
- Wrench driver with handle for hand filing.
- 9" drill driver extension for the bottom stack and bell keys.
- 3" drill driver extension for palm keys, side keys, and top stack.
- 7 mounting screws to save time- one for each file.