The Wilmington Alto
Starting at $55.00
An amazingly solid and well-made saxophone that is not unbelievably expensive. Don’t be fooled by the reasonable price of this outstanding saxophone, it is made thoughtfully and solidly and under the watchful eye of the Sax ProShop. The Wilmington Alto Sax is the first of our new line of outstanding imported instruments which will eventually include the entire family of saxophones, clarinets, and flutes.
Would you love to have your name engraved on your new Wilmington Alto? If so, enter the name you wish in the field below and Ryan, our in-house engraver will make this horn all yours!
The world deserves a saxophone that is made well, plays great and in tune and is completely repairable. The Wilmington Alto Sax is exactly that. An amazingly solid and well-made saxophone that is not unbelievably expensive. Don’t be fooled by the reasonable price of this outstanding saxophone, it is made thoughtfully and solidly and under the watchful eye of the Sax ProShop.
The Wilmington Alto Sax is the first of our new line of outstanding imported instruments which will eventually include the entire family of saxophones, clarinets, and flutes. The Wilmington alto is made by a very small factory that, until now, has not exported to the US. This factory is owned and managed by our good friend whose primary interest is continuous improvement in techniques and production. Every single part of the instrument is made in this factory, so we have a lot of control over the design and construction. This Alto was designed according to our specifications and using a lot of techniques we learned from all of our factory visits over the years. We have helped change bore taper, tone hole locations, and key design greatly. The Wilmington alto is a great no-nonsense instrument, priced as a student level instrument but standing up mechanically against many professional models. It plays with a warm, clean tone and has a big low end. The entire body is made of nickel silver, which we believe is a factor in its resonant and rich character of the sound. This material is very hard and resists denting and bending. The body is sandblasted inside and out for a satin finish and coated with clear lacquer. The engraving on the bell was designed by Jaice Dumars and carried out with traditional hand engraving techniques.
Special features of this Saxophone include:
- Key contacts under Side Bb, C, and E. High F# key. Adjustable Low C# to Low B mechanism.
- Most of the keys are mounted on pivot screws instead of rods for a longer lasting setup.
- All screws and rods are stainless steel to avoid rusting.
- The octave stem is designed to sit below the tenon to reduce the possibility of getting bent in the case.
- The nickel Silver body is much more rigid than a traditional brass body and will resist bending, denting and misalignment.
- The springs are MusicMedic.com blue steel.
- All replacement parts are available from MusicMedic.com.
- Every saxophone is inspected, play tested, and adjusted at the Sax ProShop, plus, comes with a 6 month warranty against factory defect. The return policy is good for 5 days after receipt provided that the saxophone is returned in perfect condition. Comes with a stock mouthpiece and ligature, a swab, microfiber polishing cloth, cork grease, Ultimax Key Oil, and a backpack style reinforced case.
Anyone interested in dealer pricing for their rental fleet or school is invited to call us for a special bulk discount price.
"My student, who's grandparents (Wilmington natives) just delivered her new saxophone to her this afternoon. She is completely over the moon with excitement. I had a lesson with her this afternoon and got to play it myself and can say that I am completely blown away - but not surprised - by the quality of the tone, response and intonation.
Well done everyone. I hope you sell a ton of them.
Thanks again for all you did to produce this excellent horn. I will be recommending it to other students.
See you soon, I hope, for a COA.
"My son loves his Wilmington Alto! He is progressing quite well. He is in the British Trinity exams, working on grade 7. The saxophone is handling the work quite well. He is starting to work on some overtones and begin his upper register as his music that he has chosen has some notes above high f #. I played on his horn and found the altissimo range to be nicely in tune with the harmonics popping out easily. Great job guys! Best, Kraig"