Dent Removal Tools
Why stainless steel?
We chose to make this tool from stainless steel. We know we’re spending our customers’ money, because that means that the tool price is higher. Stainless steel costs more to buy and more to machine, and it’s harder to machine. So, why do it?
We’re creating more and more tools that we hope will last a lifetime, and we think that’s worth a little more cost upfront. Stainless steel is harder and stronger, and it’s much longer lasting because it isn’t susceptible to corrosion.
At the Sax ProShop, I didn’t want my customers to see rusty tools in the shop, and I’m sure every other technician and shop owner can relate! But regular steel tools rust quickly due to chemicals used in the industry, like vaporized flux, and it requires technicians to spend a lot of time polishing tools and coating them with oil, instead of doing what they do best.
Stainless steel is also great because it’s non-magnetic. Our tools won’t collect fillings and shavings, and that means you don’t have to worry about damaging brass with metal debris while you’re doing dent work.
Lastly, out of pride, I don't want to have the MusicMedic name on some rusty tool. I want tools with my company’s name on it to be the best, to shine bright, so we make tools out of stainless even though we must sell them at a lower profit margin.
Thanks for choosing stainless steel and MusicMedic!
- Stainless Flute Head Mandrel
Starting at $58.95
Pro Flute Head Mandrel We’re confident that our precision 100% stainless steel Flute Head Mandrels are the industry’s finest. Tapered to match the head joint, these mandrels can be used for checking straightness, burnishing, dent removal, and for holding while polishing or completing work on the head joint or lip plate. The long taper also allows the mandrel to fit inside the head joint even if there are some dents and damage. This model is fitted with a hexagonal delrin stopper to prevent the mandrel from being inserted too far and a stainless hexagonal handle that will keep the mandrel from rolling around on the tool bench and can be securely chucked in a vice. If you already have our flute body mandrel, you know the fine quality of this tool. All mandrels come with our protective blue mandrel guards. Economy Flute Head Mandrel This mandrel is the same as the professional model, only without the hexagonal handle and delrin stopper. Technicians can make their own handle or use with our dent rod.Learn More
- Tenon Sizing Tool$1,800.00Out of stock
This Tenon Sizing Tool resulted from a big dream, and a desire to create a lifetime tool with absolute precision and predictability. The result is a magnificent stainless-steel masterpiece directly from our shop in Wilmington, NC. Size your flute tenons and soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, and bass saxophone tenons with ease.
Collets sold separately here: Tenon Shrinking ColletsLearn More
- Brass Mouthpiece Shank Tool$17.33Brass Mouthpiece Shank Tool Our Brass Mouthpiece Shank Tool allows you to true up the shank of any size brass mouthpiece easily. This is a traditional tool in the band repair industry and has been used by technicians and band teachers for many years. Normally this tool comes with a T-handle and can be forced into the shank of the mouthpiece, causing damage to the mouthpiece shank by unskilled users. We removed the T from our tool and replaced it with a handy key chain! This keeps unskilled users from shoving the mandrel into the mouthpiece shank and over expanding it. The safest method of restoring your mouthpiece shank to true round is to insert the tool into the shank, and tap with a rawhide mallet to bring it back to round. This method will prevent damage to the mouthpiece and keep it playing great! Made of stainless steel at our facility in Wilmington, NC USA. Learn More
- Tear Drop Dent Balls$195.00Out of stock
This set of 3 tear drop shape dent balls are made of magnetic stainless steel and polished to a high finish. Tear drop shape and a sharper radius behind the midpoint of the the ball works especially well for raking or rebounding dent removal procedures. Also great for use in saxophone bows. Comes with a sturdy plastic stand for any three dent balls tapped for 1/2 inch 13 threads.
Thread size: 1/2"-13Learn More
- Flute Dent Barrels
Starting at $22.00
An accessory that pairs with the 5/8th or 3/4 inch dent rod. You’ll love how fast, safe, and easy it is to remove dents with a barrel shape. The Stainless Steel Flute Dent Barrel threads onto the end of the dent rod, and the result is a strong radius for removing dents from the inside of the flute by using pressure on the rod and Dent Barrel. On an extremely damaged flute, use the dent barrel to make way for the body mandrel to go through the body. It also works great for pushing up low spots on tone holes or raising posts that are low or have been pushed in.Learn More
- Flute Stabilizer$29.75
It is a real challenge to polish, or rag, a flute body on a mandrel because the flute slides and spins around. Our repair department created the Flute Stabilizer for use with our whole line of flute body mandrels to hold the flute in place to make it easy to polish and perform other tasks which require the flute to be stationary.
The Flute Stabilizer threads on to the end of the mandrel and can be left in place during most uses of the mandrel. Use the included hex key wrench to tighten the end, which expands a rubber gasket to make steady contact with the inside of the flute body, holding it in place. The gasket will only expand to a certain point, which eliminates the risk of over-expanding and causing damage to the flute.
For use with our Economy, Professional, and Alto Flute Body MandrelsLearn More
- 5/8" x 3' (15.875mm x 91.44cm) Dent Rod$44.20
Machined from cold-rolled 12L14 steel, the 5/8" (15.875mm) dent rod is tough and springy. Designed with a smaller diameter than our 3/4" (19.05mm) rod to provide extra clearance at the tenon and body octave pip of an alto or tenor saxophone when working through the neck end.Learn More
- 3/4" x 4' (19.05mm x 121.92cm) Dent Rod$59.95
- Sax Body Slam Tool$68.45Out of stockOur saxophone body straightening tool was designed at the body work station in our shop. We designed the plugs for this tool to have a gentle taper which will contact the receiver on the body at more than one point. This helps hold the tool securely in the receiver. The center plate has been cut out to reduce the weight of the tool. The radius on the "I" shaped center plate distributes the force of the blow evenly. This allows the technician a little bit of leeway when tapping the horn against the bench. If you miss you still transfer the same amount of force as if you had hit the tool squarely on the bench. The Sax Body Slam tool plugs will fit in most makes of alto and tenor saxophones. If you need a custom-made plug for a larger or smaller tenon please email us. Learn More
- Small Hand Burnishers
Starting at $8.50These burnishers are great for ironing dents and ripples out of any brass-bodied instrument. The compact size of both the blade and handle allow you to burnish hard to reach areas around keywork, tone holes, valves and joints. The blade is highly polished, hardened steel and the handle is wood.
Straight: 6.25 inches or 159 mm long
Curved: 6.375 inches or 162 mm long Learn More
- Magnetic Dent Removal System Apprentice Set$575.00Out of stockThis Magnetic Dent Removal kit is perfect for small shops with limited room or a limited budget, as well as band directors needing to keep marching fleets looking great. The Apprentice set is available for sale to players and non-technicians. However, the magnet in this tool is very strong and will easily injure the user if not used properly. Please read and understand all safety warnings and purchase this tool only if you understand how to work safely with strong rare earth magnets. Learn More