Dent Removal Tools
Why stainless steel?
We chose to make this tool from stainless steel. We know we’re spending our customers’ money, because that means that the tool price is higher. Stainless steel costs more to buy and more to machine, and it’s harder to machine. So, why do it?
We’re creating more and more tools that we hope will last a lifetime, and we think that’s worth a little more cost upfront. Stainless steel is harder and stronger, and it’s much longer lasting because it isn’t susceptible to corrosion.
At the Sax ProShop, I didn’t want my customers to see rusty tools in the shop, and I’m sure every other technician and shop owner can relate! But regular steel tools rust quickly due to chemicals used in the industry, like vaporized flux, and it requires technicians to spend a lot of time polishing tools and coating them with oil, instead of doing what they do best.
Stainless steel is also great because it’s non-magnetic. Our tools won’t collect fillings and shavings, and that means you don’t have to worry about damaging brass with metal debris while you’re doing dent work.
Lastly, out of pride, I don't want to have the MusicMedic name on some rusty tool. I want tools with my company’s name on it to be the best, to shine bright, so we make tools out of stainless even though we must sell them at a lower profit margin.
Thanks for choosing stainless steel and MusicMedic!
- Flute Stabilizer$29.75
It is a real challenge to polish, or rag, a flute body on a mandrel because the flute slides and spins around. Our repair department created the Flute Stabilizer for use with our whole line of flute body mandrels to hold the flute in place to make it easy to polish and perform other tasks which require the flute to be stationary.
The Flute Stabilizer threads on to the end of the mandrel and can be left in place during most uses of the mandrel. Use the included hex key wrench to tighten the end, which expands a rubber gasket to make steady contact with the inside of the flute body, holding it in place. The gasket will only expand to a certain point, which eliminates the risk of over-expanding and causing damage to the flute.
For use with our Economy, Professional, and Alto Flute Body MandrelsLearn More
- Mandrel Guard
Starting at $0.85Get protection for your valuable dent tools. This durable plastic mesh stretches to conform to the shape of tapered mandrels and keeps them safe from accidental nicks and scratches. The mesh texture raises the mandrel off of the bench top or drawer bottom to keep dirt and grit off of your tools. Available in three size ranges and sold by the foot in uncut lengths. Learn More
- Stainless Flute Head Mandrel
Starting at $58.95
Pro Flute Head Mandrel We’re confident that our precision 100% stainless steel Flute Head Mandrels are the industry’s finest. Tapered to match the head joint, these mandrels can be used for checking straightness, burnishing, dent removal, and for holding while polishing or completing work on the head joint or lip plate. The long taper also allows the mandrel to fit inside the head joint even if there are some dents and damage. This model is fitted with a hexagonal delrin stopper to prevent the mandrel from being inserted too far and a stainless hexagonal handle that will keep the mandrel from rolling around on the tool bench and can be securely chucked in a vice. If you already have our flute body mandrel, you know the fine quality of this tool. All mandrels come with our protective blue mandrel guards. Economy Flute Head Mandrel This mandrel is the same as the professional model, only without the hexagonal handle and delrin stopper. Technicians can make their own handle or use with our dent rod.Learn More
- Flute Dent Barrels
Starting at $22.00
An accessory that pairs with the 5/8th or 3/4 inch dent rod. You’ll love how fast, safe, and easy it is to remove dents with a barrel shape. The Stainless Steel Flute Dent Barrel threads onto the end of the dent rod, and the result is a strong radius for removing dents from the inside of the flute by using pressure on the rod and Dent Barrel. On an extremely damaged flute, use the dent barrel to make way for the body mandrel to go through the body. It also works great for pushing up low spots on tone holes or raising posts that are low or have been pushed in.Learn More
- Flute Body Mandrel - Alto$180.00Out of stockWe developed the Alto Flute Body Mandrel by special request . Next time an alto flute comes into the shop, you'll be glad you have this custom mandrel for checking straightness, dent work, polishing, and burnishing on alto flutes.
.968" diameter mandrel with 20" working length - 26 1/8" total lengthLearn More
- Flute Body Mandrels
Starting at $47.50
Our Economy Flute Body Mandrel is made from precision ground tool steel. It is very hard to provide a long-lasting work-piece. The rounded end and rounded hip will help prevent damage. The workable space is 15”, or the entire length of a flute body, and 3” is allocated for securing in a vice and indicated by a line. Use the mandrel to check for straightness, burnishing, polishing, and dent removal. The threaded hole on the end will hold accessories, like a flute ragging attachment for easy polishing. Ships in blue protective sleeve.
Our Professional Flute Body Mandrel features the longest shaft length in the industry, with a full 18” working area. It's made from hardened precision ground tool steel. It features a rounded end tip and a threaded hole on the end to hold accessories, like the flute ragging attachment for easy polishing. Secure the mandrel in a vice with the hex stock end for the most reliable grip that gives you 6” to chuck without damaging any of the workable area. A delrin stopper will keep the flute body from going too deep and hitting the hex stock or vice. Use your Professional Flute Body Mandrel for checking straightness, dent work, polishing, and burnishing.
Mandrel Diameter is 0.735 inches (18.69mm) with as radius nose threaded for a 1/4-20 SAE fastener.Learn More
- Heat-N-Set Low Temperature Moldable Thermoplastic$22.00Out of stock
Heat-N-Set Low Temperature Moldable Thermoplastic can be easily molded into various shapes from small beads.
Use Heat-N-Set as grips and extensions on tools you are using, or use as a form to hold tools in place on your bench.Learn More
Heat-N-Set can be softened with heat and re-shaped again and again!
- 5/8" x 3' (15.875mm x 91.44cm) Dent Rod$44.20
Machined from cold-rolled 12L14 steel, the 5/8" (15.875mm) dent rod is tough and springy. Designed with a smaller diameter than our 3/4" (19.05mm) rod to provide extra clearance at the tenon and body octave pip of an alto or tenor saxophone when working through the neck end.Learn More
- 3/4" x 4' (19.05mm x 121.92cm) Dent Rod$59.95
- Sax Body Slam Tool$64.45Our saxophone body straightening tool was designed at the body work station in our shop. We designed the plugs for this tool to have a gentle taper which will contact the receiver on the body at more than one point. This helps hold the tool securely in the receiver. The center plate has been cut out to reduce the weight of the tool. The radius on the "I" shaped center plate distributes the force of the blow evenly. This allows the technician a little bit of leeway when tapping the horn against the bench. If you miss you still transfer the same amount of force as if you had hit the tool squarely on the bench. The Sax Body Slam tool plugs will fit in most makes of alto and tenor saxophones. If you need a custom-made plug for a larger or smaller tenon please email us. Learn More
- Small Hand Burnishers
Starting at $8.50These burnishers are great for ironing dents and ripples out of any brass-bodied instrument. The compact size of both the blade and handle allow you to burnish hard to reach areas around keywork, tone holes, valves and joints. The blade is highly polished, hardened steel and the handle is wood.
Straight: 6.25 inches or 159 mm long
Curved: 6.375 inches or 162 mm long Learn More
- Magnetic Dent Removal System Apprentice Set$575.00This Magnetic Dent Removal kit is perfect for small shops with limited room or a limited budget, as well as band directors needing to keep marching fleets looking great. The Apprentice set is available for sale to players and non-technicians. However, the magnet in this tool is very strong and will easily injure the user if not used properly. Please read and understand all safety warnings and purchase this tool only if you understand how to work safely with strong rare earth magnets. Learn More
- Magnetic Dent Removal System Essential Set$795.00Out of stockThis Magnetic Dent Removal kit is perfect for shops with light to medium work loads. The kit includes the popular 1.55" MDRS Tool as well as the heavier 2" MDRS tool for larger jobs and stubborn dents or dents in thicker metal. It also includes an additional handle to allow the use of two hands for added strength and control of the tool. The magnets in these tools are very strong and will easily injure the user if not careful. Please read and understand all safety warnings and purchase this tool only if you understand how to work safely with strong magnets. Learn More